The San Francisco 49ers have got themselves a new general manager in NFL on FOX analyst and former NFL defensive back John Lynch. While it’s an unorthodox hire, Lynch should bring leadership to an organization that desperately needs it, and he’s already off to a good start with the hiring of Adam Peters as Vice President of Player Personnel.
Let’s get to know the new the nine-time Pro Bowler and 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame hopeful a little better with 5 Fun Facts!
1) Lynch was going to play baseball for the Florida Marlins before his senior season at Stanford, when Bill Walsh convinced him to stay with football. That Bill Walsh. He always knew what was up.
2) Lynch’s wife Linda is the older sister of former NFL tight end John Allred.
3) Lynch contributed heavily to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ 2002 Super Bowl winning season with 96 tackles, 50 of them solo, and three interceptions.
4) Lynch played for presumptive new head coach of the 49ers Kyle Shanahan’s dad Mike Shanahan in Denver. Say that three times fast.
5) In 2000, John and his wife Linda started the John Lynch Foundation, which according to its website, “provide(s) encouragement and positive alternatives for young people.” Among other programs, the Foundation provides scholarships for high school students to use towards college.
This hire is about as surprising as they come, but it may just be crazy enough to work. Time will tell Faithful. Go Niners!
Thanks for watching! For more on Lynch, listen to this week’s Talking Touchdowns podcast and accompanying article.
More from my 5 Fun Facts series here.