- Guinness World Record Holder. In 2021, Shohei was named to the Guinness World Records for two titles. The titles were for becoming the first player in history to throw 100+ innings and strikeouts as a pitcher, and hit 100+ RBIs, hits and runs in a single season and for becoming the first player to start the MLB All-Star Game as pitcher and DH.
- Manga reader. Shohei enjoys reading manga, Japanese comics, especially the series “Slam Dunk.” He said the series makes him want to try basketball even though he is not very good at the sport.
- Badminton blues. Shohei’s parents are both athletic, his father played baseball and his mother player badminton until the Industrial League in Japan. To this day, Shohei says he has never beat his mother in a badminton match.
- What’s my name again? After coming to America, Shohei was unsure how to spell his name correctly in English. When filling out paperwork, he decided to put the H in his last name.
- Movie buff. In his free time, Shohei enjoys watching sports movies. His two favorites are football movies “Rudy” and “Remember the Titans.”
Image Source: Shohei Ohtani on Instagram