Brittney Griner’s pretrial detention in Russia has been extended a month, per her attorney. Griner has been detained for almost three months.
The two-time Olympic gold medalist and WNBA star was detained at an airport in Moscow after being accused of carrying vape cartridges that had oil derived from cannabis. The Biden administration says she is being wrongfully detained, while the WNBA and U.S. have been working on her release to seemingly no avail.
Last week, the U.S. State Department said it sees Griner as wrongfully detained, a classification that makes it seem as if the U.S. government will be more active in trying to get Griner released. Our hearts are with Griner and her loved ones, and we hope she is brought home quickly.
Denver Broncos wide receiver Jerry Jeudy was arrested Thursday and charged with second-degree criminal tampering with a domestic violence enhancer. On Friday morning, Jeudy appeared in Arapahoe County court and was released on a $1,500 personal recognizance bond.
Arapahoe County Sheriff Tyler Brown said on Thursday afternoon that there was no physical contact made in the dispute and that it was about property only. Jeudy is allowed full contact with the woman involved. She is the mother of his one-month-old daughter.
Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw has been placed on the injured list with inflammation in his right SI joint. Kershaw was scheduled to start Friday night against the Philadelphia Phillies.
Kershaw has a 1.80 ERA through five starts, with 32 strikeouts and three walks in 30 innings. The Dodgers have lost three out of their last four games.
Walker Buehler will start in Kershaw’s place.
- The Golden State Warriors return home to Chase Center with a 3-2 Conference Semifinals lead over the Memphis Grizzlies. Tip-off is Friday at 7 pm PT on ESPN.
- Luka Doncic and the Dallas Mavericks have forced a Game 7 with the Phoenix Suns in the conference semis. The series heads back to Phoenix on Sunday. Time TBD.
- The Miami Heat are going to the Eastern Conference Finals, after defeating the Philadelphia 76ers, 4-2, in the semis.
- Meanwhile, the Milwaukee Bucks have a 3-2 lead over the Boston Celtics, with Game 6 taking place Friday at 7:30 pm ET/4:30 pm PT in Milwaukee. Game 7 will take place Sunday, if necessary.
Friday, May 13
- New York Rangers @ Pittsburgh Penguins, 7 pm ET/4 pm PT on TNT, Pittsburgh leads series, 3-2
- Florida Panthers @ Washington Capitals, 7:30 pm ET/4:30 pm PT on TBS, Florida leads, 3-2
- Calgary Flames @ Dallas Stars, 9:30 pm ET/6:30 pm PT on TNT, Calgary leads, 3-2
Saturday, May 14
- Boston Bruins @ Carolina Hurricanes, 4:30 pm ET/1:30 pm PT on ESPN, Series tied, 3-3
- Tampa Bay Lightning @ Toronto Maple Leafs, 7 pm ET/4 pm PT on TNT, Series tied, 3-3
- LA Kings @ Edmonton Oilers, 10 pm ET/7 pm PT on ESPN, Series tied, 3-3