- A season to remember. Gerrit currently has a 2.76 ERA for third in the MLB and his best since the 2019 season. He participated in his sixth All-Star game this season and was the first Yankees pitcher to be named the All-Star starter since 2001.
- Born to be a Yankee. Gerrit grew up a huge Yankees fan, thanks to his dad. He brought a sign to the 2001 World Series that read “YANKEE FAN TODAY TOMORROW AND FOREVER,” which he also brought to his Yankees introductory press conference in 2019.
- Philanthropic couple. Gerrit and his wife, Amy, have their own charity which is dedicated to improving the lives of children across the country. Their foundation focuses on education, childhood hunger, pediatric cancer research and youth athletic opportunities.
- In the record books. Gerrit set the MLB record for most consecutive strikeouts without issuing a walk (61) in 2021. Last year, he set the Yankees record for most strikeouts by a pitcher in a single season (257).
- Harry Styles state of mind. Gerrit is a huge Harry Styles fan, which his teammates say he sings word for word. After a game this year, he changed the postgame playlist to “Watermelon Sugar” and called Harry the “G.O.A.T.”
Image Source: Gerrit Cole on Instagram.