With three games left in the season and the San Francisco Giants out of playoff contention, the team announced that manager Gabe Kapler has been “dismissed.” The Giants have a current record of 78-81 and are 8-17 in September. A team that looked like it could make a run after the All-Star break has gone 24-40 since July 18.
Kapler became the Giants’ manager in 2020 and led the team to 107-55 record in 2021. San Francisco won the NL West that season but lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers in the division series. The Giants have not been able to get the winning back.
NFL and NFLPA Gambling Policy
The NFL and NFLPA are making changes to their gambling policies. If an NFL player bets on an NFL game, it will result in a suspension of one year. If a player bets on his own team, it’s two years.
Should a player bet on NFL sports from the player’s place of work:
- The first violation will result in a two-game suspension without pay.
- The second will result in a six-game suspension without pay.
- The third will result in at least a one-year suspension without pay.
Fix a game, and that person is out of the league.
Per jail records, Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Chandler Jones was arrested Friday for allegedly violating a domestic temporary restraining order. Jones has been on the non-football illness list since Sept. 20 and has not been with the team since Labor Day weekend.
On Monday night, Jones wrote on social media that he was forcibly taken to the hospital, while on Thursday, he posted frequently, including live videos that were concerning. The Raiders said in a social media statement Friday that they hope Jones “receives the care he needs.”
Rookie QBs Returning in Week 4
When the Indianapolis Colts (2-1) host the Los Angeles Rams (1-2) on Sunday, they will do so with their QB1 back. Anthony Richardson cleared the concussion protocol on Friday and will start under center.
Meanwhile, Carolina Panthers quarterback Bryce Young is back from an ankle injury. Young missed last week’s 37-27 loss to the Seattle Seahawks but was a full participant in practice this week. RB Miles Sanders is listed as questionable with a groin injury, but Carolina head coach Frank Reich has high hopes for the team’s leading rusher to be available, when the Panthers host the Vikings. Both the Panthers and the Vikings are 0-3.
Week 4 NFL Status Updates
- The San Francisco 49ers have listed wide receiver Deebo Samuel (rib, knee) and RB Elijah Mitchell (knee) as questionable for Sunday’s game against the Arizona Cardinals. WR Jauaun Jennings (shin) is listed as doubtful.
- Los Angeles Chargers’ running back Austin Ekeler is doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Las Vegas Raiders.
- Baltimore Ravens wide receivers Odell Beckham Jr. (ankle) and Rashod Bateman (hamstring) are out for Sunday’s game against the Cleveland Browns. Browns’ QB Deshaun Watson (shoulder) is listed as questionable.
- Tennessee Titans wide receiver Treylon Burks (knee) has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Bengals.
- New Orleans Saints QB Derek Carr (shoulder) is questionable for this week’s matchup with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.