- Welcome to the greatest rivalry in sports! Let’s face it, EVERY Yankees-Red Sox match-up is a big deal, and tonight’s series finale is no different. With both teams in the playoff hunt, winner of tonight’s game will take over the top Wild Card spot!
- A duel as old as time. The history of these teams goes wayyy back to 1903, except they weren’t called the Yankees and Red Sox. On May 7th, the Boston Americans (Red Sox) defeated the New York Highlanders (Yankees) 6-2 in their first ever meeting!
- Soooo, who’s winning this thing? While the Yankees lead the all-time series, the Red Sox actually have the edge this season. The teams have already played 15 games against each other in 2021, and the Red Sox have won 10 of them!
- The Curse of the Bambino. Yup, this rivalry even has a curse! It all started when the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees for $100K in late 1919. Together, Babe and the Yanks would win four World Series, while the Red Sox wouldn’t win another one until 2004…
- For division rivals who play each other nearly 20 games a season, the Yankees and Red Sox have actually only met in the playoffs four times! Each team has won two series, with the Sox going on to win the World Series both times they’ve defeated the Yankees.
Photo Credit: Getty Images