When the San Francisco 49ers signed running back Jerick McKinnon to a four year, $30 million contract with $11.7 million guaranteed this offseason, they were hoping for big things.
Even though McKinnon has yet to take the field in a Niner uniform, all signs point to Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch getting what they paid for.
McKinnon has had a great training camp, and his versatility makes him the kind of running back Shanahan had in Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman in Atlanta. The 49ers have been using him frequently as a receiver.
Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who calls McKinnon a jitterbug in the backfield, is pleased not only with McKinnon’s on-field ability, but also the example he sets for a young 49ers team.
“Jerick is a true pro,” Jimmy Garoppolo said. “He comes to work every day. He’s in here early. You see him get in, one of the last guys to leave. It’s nice to have that, especially the guy right next to you who you’re communicating with a lot, working with a lot. It sets the tone for the offense.”
After Day 10 of Training Camp, I caught up with the player they call “Jet” to get to know him better for 5 Fun Facts with Jerick McKinnon. After all, it is his first year in red and gold.
Watch the video to learn:
- His favorite genre of movies and the two he enjoys the most
- Although he doesn’t have a dog, he does have a favorite breed and his reasoning behind it makes sense
- About his hidden dance talent and why he calls himself a dance hype man
- His favorite offseason food and his favorite foods during the season (offseason is unhealthy; season is healthier)
- And his favorite thing about living in the state of California.
Thanks for watching! Go Niners!