It has been far from fun being a 49er fan the last couple weeks; it’s actually been far from fun for most of the season. It’s hard watching a myriad of off-the-field distractions, numerous injuries (13 49ers have gone the IR this season), and poor performance dash Super Bowl dreams and the Quest for Six. But today my friends, is our Super Bowl; because today, the Niners are in Seattle for a match-up with the arch rival Seahawks. It’s hard to imagine that San Francisco has a chance with the way they’ve been playing, but maybe, just maybe, the football gods will smile upon us. What can I say? I’m one of the 49er Faithful, and hope springs eternal. It is in that spirit that I present to you, Five Fun Facts About the 49ers/Seahawks Rivalry:
- When the 49ers won the 1995 Super Bowl, the team’s defensive coordinator was none other than Seahwaks coach, Pete Carroll.
- It is well documented that there is no love loss between Carroll and 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, stemming from their days as head coaches at USC and Stanford, respectively. But this week, Carroll referred to his rival as a “stud.” Harbaugh returned the compliment. Well isn’t that sweet.
- In last year’s NFC championship, Richard Sherman (I really try not to say his name out loud or write it, but it’s necessary here. I apologize) made a great defensive play on a ball meant for Michael Crabtree, leading to an interception and the win for the Seahawks. I’m sure we all remember his behavior after that moment, and he continues his class this week by selling a sweatshirt with a photo of the play, and the message “Here’s a tip, don’t test the best.” Lovely. Bonus: Sherman and Crabtree have a longstanding feud and strongly dislike each other
- The aforementioned Seahawk player played for Harbaugh at Stanford. Not a lot of love between these two either. I see a theme for both Harbaugh and the Seattle player (but make no mistake, I love Harbaugh).
- 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick and Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette were roomies back when Lockette was a Niner. The two became friends during the 2011 combine and are still close today. It’s nice that one of these fun facts involves people who like each other.
BONUS FACT: The Niners have lost their last three games in Seattle, so they are due for a win. This one is less fun fact and more fun wish – I wish I may, I wish I might, see the Niners win tonight (it’s a day game but I wanted to rhyme).
Go Niners! #BeattheSeahawks