Hey Fangirls, it’s Taylor your Rams Fangirl, and welcome to the Fangirl Minute! With the NFL draft upon us it’s a great opportunity to take stock of your team, your favorite players and remember some those great players that were drafted in the later rounds. Time to take a Fangirl look at NFL Draft Diamonds in the rough.
Here’s a look at some great NFL stars that were not high on anyone’s draft board.
- Josh Norman: Norman is one of the game’s brightest stars and biggest trash talkers – but that was not always the case. He didn’t have any Division I scholarships and played at FCS Coastal Carolina before being drafted by the Panthers in the 5th round, 143rd overall in 2012.
- Brandon Marshall: Marshall wasn’t even a full-time receiver in college, playing Safety as well for the University of Central Florida. He was drafted by the Broncos in 2006 in the 4th round, 119th There were 11 receivers picked before him that year and very few, if any, have had a career like Brandon Marshall.
- Antonio Brown: Using a pick they received in a trade with the Cardinals, the Steelers picked AB in the 6th round, 195th overall in the 2010 NFL Draft. He was the 22nd of 27 receivers picked in the draft and the 2nd by Pittsburgh. I am sure there are a lot of teams wishing they could go back in time to select this superstar!
- Richard Sherman: The self-proclaimed best cornerback in the game was ranked 24th best by the NFL Draft “experts.” He was selected in the 5th round, 154th overall in 2010 and joined fellow late-round selections Russell Wilson and Cam Chancellor who were all pivotal to the Seahawks Super Bowl XLVII Championship.
- Tom Brady: And finally, yes… the G.O.A.T – Tom Brady was a complete afterthought in the 2000 NFL Draft. 6 Quarterbacks were chosen ahead of Brady, including household names like Giovani Camazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger and Spergon Wynn. Who? Arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game was drafted in the 6th round, 199th overall by the Patriots, which was the best decision they ever made!
Ok Fangirls, there you have our NFL Draft Diamonds in the rough. Enjoy the Draft and see you next time on the Fangirl Minute.
Watch more Fangirl Minutes HERE